JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in Wisconsin.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Wisconsin contractor licensing and registration:

About your Wisconsin contractor, electrician, and plumber complain to the Division of Industry Services of the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services using this online service. You may have to pay a fee for the Division to conduct the investigation.

About contractual issues you may need to complain to the Bureau of Consumer Protection at the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection online or download appropriate complaint form here.

To verify license of your Wisconsin contractor, plumber, electrician, etc, use this online search.

2. Wisconsin Attorney General.

The Wisconsin Consumer Protection and Antitrust Unit at the Department of Justice enforces the consumers protection laws, but directs consumers to file their complaints with the other Wisconsin agencies.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Wisconsin Small Claims: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your Wisconsin small claims suit in the county where your contractor lives or where he did the service for you.
To start small claims lawsuit in Wisconsin file Summons and Complaint form with a Clerk of Court. The clerk may provide you with the Summons and Complaint form or you can find it for download here or directly download it here.
At the time of filing you will have to pay a filing fee (subject to change).

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $10,000 (in most cases);
  2. Attorney: allowed;
  3. Right to appeal: yes (time limits vary - consult your attorney).

You can find more information about Wisconsin Small Claims court online on the Wisconsin Court System website.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy