JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in West Virginia.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. West Virginia contractor licensing and registration:

West Virginia contractors, including plumbers, electricians, etc, are licensed by the Contractor Licensing Board of the West Virginia Division of Labor.

To verify West Virginia license use this online search. In addition, you may check West Virginia Plumber Certification here.

To complain about West Virginia contractor or plumber download Request for Investigation Form here or here.

2. Office of the West Virginia Attorney General.

You can always file a consumer complaint with the West Virginia Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division.
Download a consumer complaint form, fill it out, as described here, and mail with the copies of all supporting documents (contract, estimate, receipts, proof of payment) to:
Office of the West Virginia Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
PO Box 1789
Charleston, WV 25326-1789

More information.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. West Virginia Small Claims (Magistrate Court): (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your West Virginia small claims suit in the county where your contractor lives or where he did the service for you.
To start small claims lawsuit in West Virginia file a Civil complaint form with a clerk of a Magistrate court. The clerk will provide you with the complaint form or you can find it for download here or directly download it online.
At the time of filing you will have to pay a filing fee (may vary) and some additional fees.
You can find location of your court here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $5,000;
  2. Attorney: allowed;
  3. Right to appeal: yes (within 20 days).

For more information about West Virginia Small Claims contact the clerk of your Magistrate court or download this information sheet.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy