JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in Vermont.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Vermont contractor licensing and registration:

Vermont contractors, electricians, plumbers, and others are licensed and regulated by the Division of Fire Safety.

To verify Vermont plumber or electrician license go to the Division of Fire Safety webpage and click on the trade of interest, or for all the licenses check this list.

You may find contact information for Plumbing & Heating Inspectors here. Vermont Electrician's Licensing board here.

2. Consumer Protection Unit of the Vermont Attorney General’s Office

You can complain about plumber or contractor to the Vermont Attorney General's Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) online or send a written complaint with the copies of supporting documents to:
Consumer Assistance Program
146 University Place
Burlington, VT 05405
FAX: (802) 656-1423 

Office of the Vermont Attorney General made available online a list of persons/contractors who have been convicted of home improvement fraud in Vermont since 2003 here.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Vermont Small Claims: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your Vermont small claims suit in the county where you or your contractor lives.
To start small claims lawsuit in Vermont file your Complaint with a clerk of the small claims court. You can pick up a Complaint form from the clerk, or request one to be mailed to you, or download it here.
At the time of filing you will have to pay a filing fee (currently $50.00 for a claim of up to $1000.00 or $75.00 for a claim of over $1000.00).
You can find a location of your Vermont Small Claims court in this booklet.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $5,000;
  2. Attorney: not required, allowed;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, within 30 days

You can learn more about Vermont Small Claims here or download a booklet about Vermont Small Claims court.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy