JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in Texas.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Texas contractor licensing and registration:

Texas plumbers are licensed and regulated by the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners.
Texas HVAC contractors are licensed by the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors Advisory Board of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
Texas electricians are licensed by the Electrical Safety and Licensing Advisory Board of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation

To verify Texas plumber license use this online service.
To verify Texas HVAC or electrician license use this online service.

Complaints: Here you can find how to complain to the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners. You may also download a complaint form.
About electrician, HVAC contractor, etc, you can complain to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation here.

2. Texas Attorney General

You can file a Consumer Complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Attorney General online or by filling out a printable form and mailing it with the copies of supporting documents to:
Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
PO Box 12548
Austin, TX 78711-2548
You can learn more about Texas Consumer complaint process here.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Texas Justice of the Peace Courts (Small Claims): (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your Texas small claims suit in the county where your contractor resides, or where he performed the service for you.
To start small claims lawsuit in Texas file your sworn statement of the claim with the clerk of a Justice of the Peace Court. Contact your local court for more information.
At the time of filing you will have to pay a filing fee.
You can find your Texas Justice of the Peace Court here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $10,000;
  2. Attorney: allowed, but not required;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, within 10 days

You can learn more about Texas Small Claim Courts here.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy