JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in Tennessee.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Tennessee contractor licensing and registration:

Tennessee contractors, home improvement contractors, electricians, and plumbers are licensed by the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors of the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance (TDCI)

To verify license issued by the boards of the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance (TDCI) use this online service.
You can find if there were any disciplinary actions against a Tennessee contractor here.

Complaints: File an on-line complaint with the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors here. Or use this form. More information on how to file a contractor complaint in Tennessee is here.

2. Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs

You can file your complaint with the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs (DCA) in the Department of Commerce and Insurance using this complaint form or online.
Complete complaint form, attach copies of each supporting document, sign, and mail to:
Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs
500 James Robertson Pkwy., 5th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243-0600
Telephone: (615) 741-4737
Fax: (615) 532-4994
If Inside Tennessee: (800) 342-8385
The Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs offers Contractor/Homeowner Accountability And Mediation Program (C.H.A.M.P.) that may help you to resolve your problems with hte contractor(s).
You can view the Tennessee Problem Contractors List here .

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Tennessee Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your Tennessee small claims suit in the county where your contractor lives or does business, or where the contract was signed.
File your civil lawsuit in Tennessee with the Clerk of a General Sessions Court. You can find court forms with the Clerk.
At the time of filing you will have to pay a filing fee.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $15,000 (up to 25,000 in counties with population of 700,000 or more);
  2. Attorney: allowed, but not required;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, within 10 days

To find more information about Tennessee small claims cases, please contact the court clerk in your county. You can locate your Tennessee county's court clerk here.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy