JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in South Dakota.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. South Dakota contractor licensing and registration:

South Dakota plumbers are licensed by the South Dakota Plumbing Commission of the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation (DLR).
South Dakota plumbers are licensed by the South Dakota Electrical Commission of the South Dakota DLR.

To verify South Dakota plumber's license call 1-605-773-3429 .
To verify South Dakota electrical contractor license call 1-800-233-7765 .
You can find if there were any disciplinary actions against South Dakota plumber here.
You can find if there were any disciplinary actions against South Dakota electrician here.

Complaints: About your plumber complain to South Dakota Plumbing Commission here. Or use this complaint form. About electrical contractor complain to South Dakota Electrical Commission here.

2. South Dakota Attorney General.

You can file your complaint with the South Dakota Division of Consumer Protection using this complaint form or online.
Complete complaint form, attach copies of each supporting document, sign, and mail to:
Division of Consumer Protection
1302 E Hwy 14 Suite 3
Pierre SD 57501-8053
1-800-300-1986 (In-State)
(605) 773-4400
Fax (605)773-7163
If filing online complaint mail only the copies of supporting documents.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. South Dakota Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your South Dacota small claims suit in the county where your contractor lives, or where the loss occurred.
To start your civil lawsuit in South Dakota, file a claim/statement with the Clerk of Court. You can find court forms with the Clerk of Court.
At the time of filing you will have to pay a filing fee (vary, depending on the amount that you sue for and the number of defendants). You can find your South Dakota filing fee using this online calculator.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $12,000 ;
  2. Attorney: allowed, but not required;
  3. Right to appeal: NO

You can find more information about South Dakota Small Claims Court here, or here, or contact the court where you are filing your claim.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy