JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in South Carolina.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. South Carolina contractor licensing and registration:

South Carolina plumbers, electricians, HVAC contractors are licensed by the South Carolina Contractors' Licensing Board (of the Division of Professional and Occupational Licensing at the S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation).

To verify South Carolina contractor's (including plumbers, electricians, HVAC, etc) license use this online service.
You can find if there were any disciplinary actions against South Carolina plumber or other contractor here.

Complaint against a residential contractor (including electrical, HVAC, and plumbing) may be made to the Office of Investigations and Enforcement (OIE) of the South Carolina Division of Professional and Occupational Licensing Boards (POL) here.
Or download South Carolina Contractors' Licensing Board complaint form. Complete this Complaint Form, affix your notarized signature, and return to the Contractors Licensing Board office with the copies of all supporting documents.

2. South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs.

South Carolina has a separate consumer protection agency: Department of Consumer Affairs (“DCA”). You can file your complaint for free with the State of Rhode Island Attorney General office online or using this form.
Complete this form, attach 2 copies of each supporting document, sign, and mail to:
Consumer Complaint
S.C. Dept. of Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 5757
Columbia, SC 29250-5757

More information.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. South Carolina Magistrate Court (similar to small claims): (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your South Carolina civil suit in the county where your contractor lives, or where he has his principal place of business, or where your claim arose.
To start your civil lawsuit in South Carolina, complete a Civil Action Coversheet and file it together with Complaint and Summons with the Clerk of Magistrate Court. You can find court forms with the Clerk of Court or online.
At the time of filing you will have to pay a filing and some other fees (currently $80 - subject to change).

You can find locations of South Carolina Courts here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $7,500 ;
  2. Attorney: allowed, but not required;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, to the Circuit Court (within 30 days)

You can find more information about South Carolina "Small Claims" Court here, or even more information here, or contact the court where you are filing your claim.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy