JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in Rhode Island.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Rhode Island contractor licensing and registration:

Every contractor, remodeler, commercial roofer, and most subcontractors who build or repair residential or commercial structures must register with the State of Rhode Island Contractors' Registration and Licensing Board.
Rhode Island plumbers, electricians, and more than 60 other trade occupations are licensed by the Professional Regulation Unit of the Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training.

To verify Rhode Island contractors registration use this online service. You may also find a list of contractors with suspended, revoked, and with pending violations.
To check if a plumber, electrician, or other professional is licensed in Rhode Island use this online service.

To complain about Rhode Island contractor file a claim (usually not later than 1 year from the signing of the contract) with the State of Rhode Island Contractors' Registration and Licensing Board using this form. A processing fee of $25 is required! To learn more about Dispute Resolution Service offered by the board go here.

2. State of Rhode Island Office of Attorney General.

You can file your complaint for free with the State of Rhode Island Attorney General office online or using this form.
Complete this form, attach copies of supporting documents, and mail to:
Consumer Protection Unit
150 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903
(401) 274-4400 TDD (401) 453-0410
Fax (401) 222-5110

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Rhode Island Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your Rhode Island Small claim in the county where your contractor lives, or where the contract was signed.
To start your small claims lawsuit file a complaint and summons with a Clerk of a district court. You can pick up all the forms at the courthouse.
At the time of filing you will have to pay a filing fee.

You can find locations of Rhode Island Courts here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $2,500 ;
  2. Attorney: allowed, but not required;
  3. Right to appeal: yes (within 30 days)

You can find more information about Rhode Island Small Claims Court here, or contact the court where you are filing your claim.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy