JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in Pennsylvania.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Pennsylvania contractor licensing:

Pennsylvania currently has no statewide licensing requirements for most construction contractors. But Pennsylvania home improvement contractors have to register with the Attorney General's Office.
Some municipalities license electricians and plumbers. City of Philadelphia license general, electrical, plumbing contractors and more. Check with your county or city about local contractor licensing requirements.

To verify Pennsylvania home improvement contractors registration use this online service. You may also check Philadelphia contractor license.

To complain about Pennsylvania contractor or plumber contact the office of Attorney General below. To complain in Philadelphia you can try calling 311.

2. Pennsylvania Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection.

You can file your complaint with the office of Pennsylvania Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection on-line or download complaint form. Complete this form, attach copies of supporting documents, and mail to:
Office of Attorney General
Bureau of Consumer Protection
15th Floor, Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17120

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Pennsylvania Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your Pennsylvania Small claim in the county where your contractor lives, or where he did a service for you, or where the contract was signed.
To start your small claims lawsuit file a Civil Complaint (or Statement of Claim) with a district (or municipal) court. You can pick up all the forms at the court or download online.
At the time of filing you will have to pay filing fee (may vary).

You can find locations of Pennsylvania Courts here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $12,000 ;
  2. Attorney: allowed for both parties, but not required;
  3. Right to appeal: yes (within 30 days)

You can find more information about Pennsylvania Small Claims Court (Philadelphia) here, or contact the court where you are filing your claim.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy