JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in Oregon.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Oregon contractor licensing:

Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB).
Oregon roofing, siding, painting, carpentry, concrete, appliance repair, heating and air conditioning, home inspections, tree service, plumbing, electrical, floor covering, manufactured dwelling installation, land development, and other construction and repair contractors are licensed by the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB).

To verify Oregon electrical, plumbing, and other contractor license use this online service. You will be able to see complaints filed against your contractor and CCB disciplinary actions.

Complain about Oregon contractor to the Oregon Construction Contractors Board Dispute Resolution Services (DRS). There is a time limit to file a contractor complaint with CCB (one year in most cases).
Before filing complaint, you are required to send a notice to your contractor of your intent to file a CCB DRS complaint. You have to send your notice to contractor by certified mail at least 30 days before filing the complaint. Click here to use the CCB online pre-complaint notice.
You may need to pay a complaint processing fee of $50.
Click here to download the homeowner complaint form, or call the CCB Customer Service Unit at 503-378-4621 to obtain the form by mail.

More information about Oregon CCB Dispute Resolution Services (DRS) can be found here.

2. Oregon Department of Justice Consumer Protection.

File your complaint with the Oregon Department of Justice Consumer Protection Section on-line or download complaint form. Fill out this form, attach copies of supporting documents, and mail to:
Oregon Department of Justice
Financial Fraud/Consumer Protection Section
1162 Court St., NE
Salem, OR 97301-4096

You may also check if there were any complaints about your contractor filed with Oregon Attorney General using this online service.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Oregon Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

Before filing small claims lawsuit in Oregon you will be asked to sign a sworn statement that you have demanded a payment from your contractor.
You can file your Oregon Small claim in the county where your contractor did a service for you, or where his business is located.
To start your small claims lawsuit file a Small Claim and Notice of Small Claim form with the courthouse clerk. If you filled out Affidavit form online do not sign it! You may be required to sign the Affidavit in front of the Clerk.
You can get all the forms at the courthouse or online.
At the time of filing you will have to pay filing fee of about $50-$100 (vary depending on the amount of your claim and from court to court).

You can find locations of Oregon Courts here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $10,000;
  2. Attorney: allowed only if specifically permitted by the judge ;
  3. Right to appeal: NO

You can find more information about Oregon Small Claims Court here or here.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy