JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in Ohio.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Ohio contractor licensing:

Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB).
Ohio electrical, HVAC, hydronics, plumbing, and refrigeration contractors are licensed by the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB).

For information regarding licensing of residential, general, or general construction contractors contact your city/town Building Departments

You can verify Ohio electrical, HVAC, hydronics, plumbing, and refrigeration contractor license here.
To check the Ohio Company Licensee use this on-line service.

File your Ohio electrical, HVAC, hydronics, plumbing, and refrigeration commercial contractor complaints with the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB) using this form.
Send your complaint with the copies of all supporting documents to:
Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board
6606 Tussing Road,
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068

To complain about Ohio residential contractor contact your local Building Department

2. Ohio Attorney General.

File your complaint on-line with the office of Ohio Attorney General here.
Or download complaint form. Complete this form in dark ink and mail to:
Consumer Protection Section
30 E. Broad St., 14th floor
Columbus, OH 43215-3400
You may also check if there were any complaints about your contractor filed with Ohio Attorney General using this online service.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Ohio Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your Ohio Small claim in the county where your contractor lives, has his place of business, or where he did a service for you.
Check with your court if you are required to appear at a mediation hearing before your case can be tried by the small claims court.
To start your small claims lawsuit file a statement of claim/complaint with the small claims division of county or municipal court. You can pick up complaint form at the court (some local courts have the form available online).
At the time of filing you will have to pay filing fee (filing fees vary from court to court).

You can find location, rules, and links to Ohio Courts here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $3,000;
  2. Attorney: allowed for both parties, but not required;
  3. Right to appeal: yes

You can find more information about Ohio Small Claims Court here, or contact the small claims court where you are filing your claim.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy