JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about contractor in New Mexico.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. New Mexico contractor licensing:

New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department
All general construction, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and LP gas contractors in New Mexico must be licensed by the Construction Industries Division of the New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department.
You can find if a contractor is licensed in New Mexico here.
You can complain about New Mexico contractor to the New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department or download complaint form and instructions.

2. New Mexico Attorney General.

You may complain about a contractor or a plumber to the Office of the New Mexico Attorney General here using this consumer complaint form. Fill out the form, make 2 copies of it (keep one for your records). Attach 2 (two) copies of any supporting documents releted to your complaint and mail your complaint to:
Consumer Protection Division
P.O. Drawer 1508
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1508

For more information call the Consumer Protection Division at 1-800-678-1508

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. New Mexico Small Claims: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your New Mexico "small claim suit" in a magistrate district where you or your contractor lives or could be found, or where his service took place.
To start your small claims lawsuit file a Civil Complaint with the Clerk of Magistrate or Metropolitan Court. Download New Mexico Civil complaint form and Civil summons. The forms are also available at the courthouses and self help centers.
At the time of filing you will have to pay filing fee.

You can find locations .

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $10,000;
  2. Attorney: not required (may be required for corporations and companies), but allowed;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties (within 15 days)

More information about New Mexico small claims section you can find here or consult your attorney.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy