JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in New Jersey.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. New Jersey contractor licensing:

Division of Consumer Affairs of New Jersey Office of the Attorney General
is resposible for professional and occupational licensing in New Jersey.
The Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors licenses electrical contractors.
State Board of Examiners of Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors issues Master HVACR Contractor licenses in New Jersey.
The State Board of Examiners of Master Plumbers licenses master plumbers.
Home improvement contractors in New Jersey do not need license but should be registered with the Division of Consumer Affairs.
You can verify license of a plumber, electrician, or other contractor in New Jersey here. You will also be able to see if there were any actions taken against contractor by the boards.
New Jersey State Board of Examiners of Master Plumbers provides a list of disciplinary actions against New Jersey plumbers here.
Disciplinary actions against New Jersey electricians could be found here.

To complain about electrician in New Jersey use the Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors complaint form.
To complain about plumber download New Jersey State Board of Examiners of Master Plumbers plumber complaint form. You can also find it here.
New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs has links to many of the Professional and Occupational Licensing Boards Complaint Forms here or here.
To compain about home improvement contractor call New Jersey Home Improvement Contractors complaints section (973) 424-8150 prompt #6.

2. New Jersey Office of the Attorney General.

You may complain about a contractor or a plumber to the Office of Consumer Protection of the New Jersey Attorney General using this consumer Complaint form. Attach copies of any documents releted to your complaint and mail your complaint to:
Division of Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 45025
Newark, New Jersey 07101

For more information or to check on the complaint history of a contractor call the Consumer Service Center at (973) 504-6200

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. New Jersey Small Claims: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your New Jersey small claim suit in the county where your contractor lives or where his business is located.
To start your small claims lawsuit file a Small Claims Complaint and the summons with the Office of the Special Civil Part Clerk. The forms are available at any court. You can download New Jersey small claims information packet with all the forms and instructions here or from the New Jersey Courts On-Line Self-Help Center.
You can file in person or by mail. You will need an original and 2 copies of all the forms, plus two additional copies for each defendant. At the time of filing you will have to pay filing fee (currently $15 plus $2 for each additional defendant) and some processing fees (e.g. summons by mail $7 for each defendant). If filing by mail attach your check or money order to your forms.

You can find locations of the Office of the Special Civil Part Clerk here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $3,000;
  2. Attorney: not required, but allowed;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties (within 45 days)

More information about New Jersey small claims section you can find here and here.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy