JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in New Hampshire.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. New Hampshire contractor licensing:

Bureau of Building Safety and Construction
New Hampshire plumbers, electricians, mechanical and some other speciality contractors are licensed by the New Hampshire Department of Safety, Division of Fire Safety, Bureau of Building Safety and Construction.
You can verify a license of New Hampshire plumber, electrician, etc using this online service (person search) or this business search.
Complain to the Plumbing Safety and Licensing Section of the New Hampshire Department of Safety. Download Plumbers' Licensing Board complaint form.
You may also complain about New Hampshire contractors using this common complaint form from the Division of Fire Safety

2. New Hampshire Department of Justice, office of Attorney General.

You may check the number of complaints filed against a contractor (and any business), and how they were resolved, in New Hampshire since January 1, 2006 using this online search.
You may complain about a contractor or a plumber to the Office of New Hampshire Attorney General using this Complaint form. Attach copies of the supporting documents and mail your complaint to:
Tel.: (603) 271-3641
Fax: (603) 223-6202
You may also complain online if you can provide copies of the supporting documents in Word, Excel or PDF format.
More information about consumer complaints to the Office of New Hampshire Attorney General is here.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. New Hampshire Small Claims: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

Before filing small claims complaint in New Hampshire try to settle your claim with a contractor. One way to do it is by a certified letter, return receipt requested.
You can file your New Hampshire small claim suit in the district where you or your contractor lives.
To start your small claims lawsuit file a small claims complaint and a Military Affidavit with the clerk of district or municipal court. The forms are available at any court.
At the time of filing you will have to pay filing fee ($72.00 if the claim does not exceed $5,000.00 and $127.00 if the claim is for more than $5,000.00) and some processing fees.

You can find your District Court here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $7,500 (mandatory mediation for claim in excess of $5,000);
  2. Attorney: not required, but allowed;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties (within 30 days)

More information about New Hampshire small claims procedures you can find here or here.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy