JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Nebraska.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Nebraska contractor licensing:

There is no state licensing for contractors (except electrical) in Nebraska. Check with your city or county since there may be a local licensing in municipalities with population over 100,000.
Nebraska electricians should have a license issued by the Nebraska State Electrical Board. In addition, they may need a local (county or city) registration.
You can verify Nebraska electrician license here.
The state of Nebraska has a registration for contractors to confirm that they maintain workmen’s comp insurance. One can verify Nebraska contractor registration using this online service. However, homeowners do not need to confirm that the contractor is registered.

You can file a complaint regarding your plumber or other contractor with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (see below).

2. Nebraska Attorney General's Office.

Complain about your contractor or plumber to the Consumer Protection Division (CPD) of the Nebraska Attorney General's Office online or download a Complaint form. You may also call the Consumer Protection Division to request a complaint form.
Send your complaint with the copies of the supporting documents to:

Consumer Complaint Division
Office of the Attorney General
2115 State Capitol
Lincoln, NE 68509
(402) 471-2682

Here you can find more information from Nebraska Attorney General on how to protect yourself.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Nebraska Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your Nebraska Small claim in the county where your contractor lives, or does business, or in the county where he/she did the service, which is the subject of your claim.
To start your small claims lawsuit file a claim form with the clerk of the county court. You can download a claim form here or pick it up at any county court. You will need to sign the claim form before a notary public, or before a judge or a clerk of the county court, or other authorized by law person. You can file in person or by mail. At the time of filing you will have to pay filing and service fees.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $3,500;
  2. Attorney: not allowed;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties (within 30 days)

You can find more information about Nebraska Small Claims Court here.
There are six mediation centers throughout Nebraska that may assist you with settling your problem with contractor before going to court. To try mediation in your small claims case, contact a center near you.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy