JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

How to complain about plumber or contractor in North Dakota.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. North Dakota contractor licensing:

North Dakota contractors are licensed by the office of North Dakota Secretary of State.
Electricians are licensed by the North Dakota State Electrical Board.
Plumbers are licensed by the North Dakota State Board of Plumbing.

You can verify North Dakota contractor license here.
To check if the electrician is licensed in North Dakota use this on-line service.
Questions about North Dakota plumber licensing and complaint procedure forward to:
the North Dakota State Board of Plumbing:
1110 College Drive, Suite 210,
Bismarck, ND 58501

About North Dakota contractor complaints contact Administrative/Licensing Unit at the Secretary of State's office :
Tel.: 701-328-3665
Fax: 701-328-1690

About North Dakota electrician complaints contact North Dakota State Electrical Board.

2. North Dakota Attorney General.

File your contractor complaint with the Consumer Protection and Antitrust Division (CPAT) of the Office of North Dakota Attorney General. You can complain to the North Dakota Attorney General's Office online or using this complaint form.
Send your complaint with the copies of the supporting documents to:

Consumer Protection Division
Office of Attorney General
Gateway Professional Center
1050 E Interstate Avenue Suite 200
Bismarck ND 58503-5574

Here you can find more information on how to complain to the North Dakota Attorney General's Office.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. North Dakota Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your North Dakota Small claim in the county where your contractor lives, or has a place of business.
To start your small claims lawsuit file a CLAIM AFFIDAVIT with the Clerk of District Court. You can download claim and other forms from here or pick it up at any county court. Follow the instructions on the back of each form. You will need to sign the claim form before a notary public, or before a Clerk of District Court. At the time of filing you will have to pay filing and service fees.

You can find your Circuit Court here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $10,000;
  2. Attorney: not allowed;
  3. Right to appeal: no, for both parties?

You can find more information about North Dakota Small Claims Court here.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy