JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Montana.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Montana contractor licensing:

Department of Labor & Industry, Business Standards Division.
Memeber of NASCLA. Plumbers and electricians in Montana are licensed by the Business and Occupational Licensing Bureau.
To find if a plumber, electrician, or other professional is licensed in Montana go here and click on the "SEARCH FOR A LICENSEE" link under "Licensee Lookup". You will also be able to see any disciplinary actions against this licensee.

Contractors in Montana should be registered with the Construction Contractor Registration Unit. Independent contractors without emploees are not required to have a registration but may choose to register with the Independent Contractor Central Unit. To check if independent contractor is registered in the State of Montana use this online service. To check the registration of a Construction Contractor use this online search.

You can file a complaint about your plumber or electrician with the Montana Department of Labor & Industry - Business Standards Division here.
Or directly download the Complaint form.

2. Montana Department of Justice - Attorney General.

You can complain about your Montana contractor, or plumber, or electrician, etc to the Montana Department of Justice, Office of Consumer Protection. You can file your complaint online. Or you can download Consumer Complaint Form, fill it out, sign, and send with the copies of the supporting documents to:
Office of Consumer Protection
2225 11th Avenue
P.O. Box 200151
Helena, MT 59620-0151
Phone: (800) 481-6896 or (406) 444-4500
You can request a paper complaint form by contacting Office of Consumer Protection.

You can check if the Montana Office of Consumer Protection has received complaints about your contractor or plumbers here.
For more information on the Montana consumer complaint process here.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Montana Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file your Montana small claim in the county where your contractor lives or where he/she may be served.
To start your small claims lawsuit in Montana obtain the Complaint form, Notice to Defendant form, and Praecipe form from the Small Claims Division of Justice Court (or City, or Municipal Court) or download these forms from here (in Microsoft Word format). Fill out the form. For each defendant, you will need two copies of each Complaint and Notice to Defendant, and one copy of Praecipe. Take your completed forms to the clerk of justice court. Your complaint must be sworn to before the Court. You will have to pay filing and some service fees.
You can download the Instructions for Montana Small Claims Cases from here (in Microsoft Word format).

You can find your local Court here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $7,000;
  2. Attorney: not allowed, unless both parties have an attorney;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties (within 10 days)

You can find more about the rules of Montana Small Claims Court here.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy