JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Mississippi.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Mississippi State Board of Contractors (MSBOC) NASCLA member:
A Mississippi state license is required for contractors engaged in residential construction projects with the costs of over $50,000 (Residential Builder license), or in residential remodeling or roofing projects of over $10,000 (Residential Remodeler or Roofer license). Plumbers, HVAC contractors, and electricians should usually have a commercial speciality contractor License.
To verify your Residential Building, Remodeling, or Roofing contrctor licence use this online service. To check if your plumber, or HVAC contractor, or electrician has a Mississippi speciality contractor license use this online service. Each County or Municipality may have additional regulations regarding permits and licenses. Make sure to contact your local permit office to get more information.
You can also check if MSBOC has any complaints against the commercial or residential contractor.
How to file a complaint about plumbers, HVAC, remodeling and other contractors with the Mississippi State Board of Contractors you can find here or here (new website).
To download Mississippi complaint form click here or here (new updated form).
You may request a copy of the complaint form by calling the MSBOC at 1-800-880-6161. Send you complaint together with the copies of contracts, building permits, and other relevant documents to:  
Complaint Department, 
Mississippi State Board of Contractors,
P. O. Box 320279,
Jackson, MS 39232.

2. Mississippi Attorney General's Office.
You may also complain about your contractor to the Mississippi Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection. Download Mississippi Consumer Complaint Form, fill it out and mail with the copies of all the supporting documents to:
Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General
P.O. Box 22947
Jackson, Mississippi 39225-2947
(601) 359-4230
(800) 281-4418
Fax: (601) 359-4231

If the Office of Consumer Protection cannot act on your complaint, they may refer you to the appropriate agency or organization.

More information.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Mississippi Justice Court Small Claims: (For your information only - not a legal advice)
You can file a small claim in the Justice Court in the county where your contractor lives, or where the claim arose (where the property, for which you hired a contractor/plumber, is located).
To start your small claims lawsuit fill out a Declaration and Affidavit form and file it with the Justice Court Clerk. You will have to pay filing fee (vary by county). You can get the Declaration and Affidavit form from the clerk of the court (Hinds County Declaration and Affidavit form you can download here).

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $3,500 (may vary by county);
  2. Attorney: allowed but not required;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties (within 10 days)

    For more information contact your county Justice Court.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy