JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Minnesota.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Minnesota contractor licensing:

Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI):
Electrician, residential building contractors or remodelers, plumbers, and other contractors in Minnesota are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry. To verify your contractor's license use this online service. You can also check if there are any punitive actions by DOLI taken against the license of Minnesota residential building contractor, or Minnesota plumber, or Minnesota electricians.
Here you can find how to complain against residential building contractors and download Minnesota Building Contractors Consumer Complaint form.
To complain about your plumber in Minnesota file this Complaint Form with the Department of Labor and Industry Plumbing. More information is here.
Information about electrical complaints and links to complaint form could be found here. Or directly download Minnesota electrical complaint form and instructions.

2. Minnesota Attorney General's Office.

You may also complain about your contractor to the Office of Minnesota Attorney General. You can download Consumer Report Form, fill it out, sign, and send with the copies of all the supporting documents to:
Office of Minnesota Attorney General
1400 Bremer Tower
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 296-3353
TTY: (651) 297-7206
TTY: 1-800-366-4812

More information on how to complain to the Office of Minnesota Attorney General.

3. Better Business Bureau:

Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Minnesota Conciliation Court (Small Claims Court): (For your information only - not a legal advice)

You can file a conciliation court claim in the county where your contractor lives, or where his business is located.
To start your small claims lawsuit file the Statement of Claim and Summons and pay filing and law library fees (vary by county) with the the court administrator’s office.

You can find your Minnesota Court here.
You can find Minnesota Court forms here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $7,500;
  2. Attorney: not required (may be allowed by the judge);
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties (within 20 days)

You can find more information about Minnesota Conciliation Court here or in this brochure.

5. On-line complaints.

We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy