4. Michigan Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)
You can file a Small Claims lawsuit in the district where your contractor lives, or where he/she has a place of business, or where he has perfomed his service.
To start your small claims lawsuit file the Affidavit and Claim form and pay filing and service fees with the clerk of a district court. You can also file Affidavit and Claim by mail (follow directions on form).
$25 for claims up to $600
$45 for claims from $600 to $1,750
$65 for claims over $1,750 to $5,000
You can find a directory of Michigan Courts here.
You can get the Affidavit and Claim form at the district court or you can download the forms from here.
- Maximum monetary limit of claims: $5,000;
- Attorney: not allowed (if the defendant wants an attorney claim will be moved to the general civil division of the district court);
- Right to appeal: no appeal can be made of the judge's decision (appeals on the decision of a magistrate are allowed)
You can find more information about Michigan Small Claims Court here.
5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the more info link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to Reviews by Google users and click on Rate and review link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) http://www.ripoffreport.com (registration required),
Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".