JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Michigan.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Michigan contractor licensing:
Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA):
Electrician, mechanical contractors, plumbers, etc. in Michigan are licensed by the Bureau of Construction Codes, Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. To verify your contractor's license use this online service. How to complain against electricians, mechanical contractors, and plumbers with the Michigan Office of Administrative Services (OAS) you can find here.

Home improvement and building contractors are licensed by the Michigan Bureau of Commercial Services. To check if your residential builder is licensed in Michigan use this search. How to complain about residential builders, maintenance, and alteration contractors as well as many other contractors and proffesionals with the Michigan Bureau of Commercial Services you can find here. You can also find Disciplinary Action Reports there.

To find out if the business require Michigan license use this online search.

2. State of Michigan Attorney General.
You may also complain about your contractor to the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's office. You can file your complaint on-line and send supporting documentation to:
Consumer Protection Division
P.O. Box 30213
Lansing, MI 48909-7713 
Fax: 517-241-3771

More information on how to complain to the Consumer Protection Division of the Michigan Attorney General's office.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Michigan Small Claims Court: (For your information only - not a legal advice)
You can file a Small Claims lawsuit in the district where your contractor lives, or where he/she has a place of business, or where he has perfomed his service.
To start your small claims lawsuit file the Affidavit and Claim form and pay filing and service fees with the clerk of a district court. You can also file Affidavit and Claim by mail (follow directions on form).
Filing fees:
$25 for claims up to $600
$45 for claims from $600 to $1,750
$65 for claims over $1,750 to $5,000

You can find a directory of Michigan Courts here.
You can get the Affidavit and Claim form at the district court or you can download the forms from here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $5,000;
  2. Attorney: not allowed (if the defendant wants an attorney claim will be moved to the general civil division of the district court);
  3. Right to appeal: no appeal can be made of the judge's decision (appeals on the decision of a magistrate are allowed)

You can find more information about Michigan Small Claims Court here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy