JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Maine.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Maine Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation
licenses electricians, installers of mobile and modular homes, plumbers, and oil burner technicians in Maine. Home improvement and construction contractors are not licensed in Maine on a State level.
To find if a plumber or electrician is licensed in Maine search the Maine Agency License Management System (ALMS). When you search for a license you will also be able to see any disciplinary actions against this licensee. You can also search for disciplinary actions against licensed professionals in Maine here.

In Maine, file your complaint about contractors and plumbers with the Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation ("OPOR") Consumer Complaint Unit here. To learn more about complaint process click here.

2. Maine Attorney General.
About home improvement and construction contractors you can complain to the Office of the Maine Attorney General. You can also complain to the Office of the Maine Attorney General about plumbers and other licensed professionals.
You can complaint with the Office of the Maine Attorney General online, or by phone at 207-626-8849 or 1-800-436-2131, or by mail:
Attorney General's Consumer
Information and Mediation Service
6 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333

You can find more information on-line here.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Maine Small Claims Courts: (For your information only - not a legal advice)
You can file a Small Claims lawsuit in the area where your contractor lives or where his business located or registered.
Start your lawsuit by filing a Statement of Claim with the Clerk of the local division of the District Court. The judge may ask you and the contractor to meet with a mediator to attempt to settle the dispute.
You can find a list of Maine District Courts in the Maine Guide to Small Claims Proceedings in the District Court.
You can get all the Small claims forms and handbooks from the clerk at any Maine District Courts or you can download the forms from here.
You will have to pay a filing fee of $50 and, if needed, some additional fees (service and sheriff’s fees).

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $6,000;
  2. Attorney: not required, but allowed for both plaintiff and defendant;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties (a plaintiff may appeal only on questions of law and is not entitled to a new trial).

You can find more information in the Maine Guide to Small Claims Proceedings in the District Court

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy