JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Louisiana.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Louisiana Contractor Licensing Boards
State Plumbing Board of Louisiana (SPBLA):
12497 Airline Hwy.
Baton Rouge, LA. 70817
Phone: 225-756-3434
All persons engaged in the installation, repair, and maintenance of plumbing systems in Louisiana should be licensed by the State Plumbing Board. You can find if your plumber is licensed in Louisiana by searching SPBLA roster.
About plumber in Louisiana complain on-line to the State Plumbing Board of Louisiana here.

Louisiana State Licensing Board For Contractors (LSLBC)
Contractors in Louisiana need state license if they work on:
1) commercial projects over $50,000
2) residential construction over $75,000
3) electrical and mechanical projects over $10,000
4) projects involving hazardous materials or mold remediation over $1.00

Contractors working on home improvement or remodeling projects over $7,500 but less than $75,000 need to be registered with the LSLBC.

You can verify your contractor license or registration on-line or by calling 1-800-256-1392.

If you have a complaint about Louisiana contractor, you can download the Consumer Complaint form from here, complete and mail it to:
Louisiana State Licensing Board For Contractors
Attn: Compliance Division
2525 Quail Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Or fax to 225-765-0947

2. Louisiana Attorney General.

You can also complain about Louisiana contractor or plumber to the Office of the Louisiana Attorney General.
To file a consumer complaint with the Office of the Louisiana Attorney General you can call the Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-351-4889, or download printable consumer complaint form, fill it in, and mail to:
Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Section
P.O. Box 94005
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005
Fax: (225) 326-6499

You can find more information and file your Louisiana consumer complaint on-line here.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Small Claims Divisions of City Courts or Justice of the Peace Courts: (For your information only - not a legal advice)
Small claims procedure varies widely in different Louisiana localities. Consult with your district court, city court or with your justice of the peace before starting your lawsuit!!!
In General:
You can file a Small Claims lawsuit in the area where your contractor lives or does business.
Start your lawsuit by filing a "Statement of Claim" with the Clerk of the Justice of the Peace Court or of your City Court. You may file your Statement of Claim in person, by mailing it (with all the applicable fees), or by Fax (if filing by Fax, within seven days you should forward to the Clerk the original signed Statement of Claim with all the applicable fees).
You can find Louisiana Justices of the Peace directory here.
You can get all the necessary forms from the clerk or you can download the forms from here.
You will have to pay a filing fee (amounts vary) plus some additional fees.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: vary (up to $5,000);
  2. Attorney: not required, but allowed for both plaintiff and defendant;
  3. Right to appeal: no in City Courts; yes, for both parties in Justice of the Peace Courts

You can find more information about Baton Rouge Small Claims in the Baton Rouge Small Claims brochure.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy