JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Kentucky.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction
licenses electricians, boiler contractors, sprinkler and fire alarm contractors, building inspectors, and plumbers.
You can find if your plumber, electrician, or HVAC contractor is licensed in Kentucky using this license search.

Kentucky plumbers are licensed by the Division of Plumbing. To complain about your plumber in Kentucky use the Division of Plumbing Formal Consumer Complaint Form and mail it to:
Department of Housing, Buildings & Construction
Division of Plumbing
101 Sea Hero Rd., Ste. 101
Frankfort, KY 40601-5405

Kentucky HVAC contractors are licensed by the Division of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning. About your HVAC contractor in Kentucky complain using this complaint form. You can download this form from the Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction website.

Electricians (as well as elevator contractors, manufactured home installers and some other contractors) are licensed by the Kentucky Division of Building Codes Enforcement. Complain about electrician or other contractor in Kentucky to the KY State Attorney General here.

2. The Kentucky Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection.

You can always complain about your contractor to the Office of the Kentucky Attorney General. To file a consumer complaint with the Office of the Kentucky Attorney General you can simply write to:
Consumer Protection Division
1024 Capital Center Drive
Frankfort, KY 40601
Include all the relevant information and attach all the supporting documents.

You may also file your complaint online or download their Complaint Form or request the form by calling the Consumer Protection Division at (502) 696-5389.
The Consumer Protection Division may refer your complaint to another state or federal agency.

You can find more information here.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Kentucky Small Claims Division of District Court:
You can file a Small Claims lawsuit in the county where your contractor lives or in the county where he/she does business.
You have 15 years to file your suit with Kentucky Small Claims Court if you have a written agreement or contract, or five years if your claim is based upon an oral agreement.
Start your lawsuit by filing a "Small Claims Complaint" with the Office of Circuit Court Clerk. You can get all the necessary forms from the clerk or you can download the forms from here.
You will have to pay a filing fee.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $2,500;
  2. Attorney: not required, but allowed for both plaintiff and defendant;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties

To find more information about Kentucky Small Claims Court download Small Claims Handbook.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy