JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Iowa.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Iowa Licensing Boards
The Iowa Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board licenses plumbers, HVAC and refrigeration contractors. Find if your plumber or HVAC contractor is licensed in Iowa using this on-line service.
You can find information about disciplinary actions against Iowa plumbers by the Iowa Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board online here.
To complain about your plumber in Iowa use the Iowa Plumbing & Mechanical Systems Board Complaints. You may download the complaint form, complete it and mail to the board office. You may also request a complaint form by calling 1-866-280-1521.

Iowa Electrical Licensing and Inspection Program.
The Fire Marshal Division of the Iowa Department of Public Safety is responsible for the Iowa Electrical Licensing and Inspection Program. You can find if your electrician is licensed in Iowa here. To complain about electrician in Iowa use the Iowa Electrical licensing and inspection program Complaint form.

Iowa Division of Labor.
Iowa contractors who make at least $2,000 a year from the “construction” activities must be registered with the Iowa Division of Labor
You may find if a contractor is registered in Iowa here.
Call the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division to see if there are any complaints against particular “construction” contractor.
To complain about “construction” contractors use the Iowa State Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division complaint procedure here.

2. Iowa Attorney General Consumer Protection Division.

You can check to see if an Iowa contractor has been sued by customers (or sued them) here.

File complaint about Iowa contractor with the Iowa Attorney General Consumer Protection Division online or download a printable form, fill it out, and mail to:
Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General
Hoover Building
1300 E. Walnut
Des Moines, Iowa 50319.
Include copies of any supporting document with your complaint.
You can find more information here.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Iowa Small Claims Court:
You can file a Small Claims lawsuit in the county where your contractor lives or in the county where the transaction took place.
Start your lawsuit by filing an "Original Notice" with the clerk of the court (usually the Clerk of the District Court). You can get all the necessary forms from the clerk or you can download Small Claims "Original Notice" form from here. Complete the form and mail it or take it to the clerk of court's office with the filing fee of $85.00. You will also need two copies of the completed "Original Notice" for each person you are suing.

You can also file your Iowa Small Claims Case online.
Instructions for completing a form and filing a Small Claims Action are available online.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $5,000;
  2. Attorney: allowed for both plaintiff and defendant;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties

You can more information about Iowa Small Claims Court here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy