JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Indiana.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Indiana Professional Licensing Agency Plumbing Commission.
Only plumbers are licensed in Indiana at the state level. To find if your plumber licensed in Indiana use this on-line service. and select "Plumbing Commission" from the Profession pull down menu.
Information about disciplinary actions taken against Indiana plumbers by the Indiana Plumbing Commission is available online.
Complain against your Indiana plumber to the Indiana Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division below.
Indiana Plumbing Commission administer Plumbers Recovery Fund wich may compensate you for up to $20000 in damages resulting from the actions of a licensed plumber. To recieve a compensation from this fund the court order is required.
Licensing for electrical, heating and air conditioning (HVAC) contractors is at the discretion of the local municipality in the State of Indiana. There is no State license for these contractors.

The City of Indianapolis, Marion County licenses electricians, HVAC, wrecking, and general contractors. Before hiring a contractor in Indianapolis, please check the Department of Code Enforcement listing of licensed contractors or call (317) 327-8700
Outside of Indianapolis check with your county or city about contractor licensing requirements.

2. The Office of the Indiana Attorney General.

You can check if there were any consumer lawsuits against Indiana contractor with the the Indiana Attorney General online
File complaint about your Indiana contractor with the Consumer Protection Division of the Indiana Attorney General's office online.
You can request a complaint form by calling 800-382-5516 or 317-232-6330 or download a printable form, fill it out, and mail to:
Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Indiana Attorney General
302 W. Washington St., 5th Floor
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Include copies of any supporting document with your complaint. Do not send the originals. You may be referred to another agency.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Indiana Small Claims Court:
Small Claims procedures are somewhat different for Marion County.
You can file a Small Claims lawsuit in the county where your contractor lives or works, or in the county where the transaction took place. You must know the correct name, address, and telephone number of your contractor.
You have 2 or 6 years to file your lawsuit (depending on the nature of your case).
Start your lawsuit by filing a "Notice of Claim" with the clerk of the court. The clerk of the court can give you a form and assist you with completing it but he/she cannot give you legal advice. You may be able to download Small Claims Forms from your Indiana county website.
You will have to pay a filing fee (fees vary from county to county).
Some counties have these forms available on-line. You can find links to Illinois County websites here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $6,000;
  2. Attorney: allowed for both plaintiff and defendant (but even if you win the other party is unlikely to be liable for your attorney's fees);
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties

You can find rules of Indiana Small Claims Court on-line here. or download Indiana Small Claims Manual from here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy