JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Idaho.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Idaho Division of Building Safety and Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses:
Every person who perform electrical, HVAC, or plumbing work is required to have a state-issued license in Idaho. Plumbers, electricians, and HVAC contractors are licensed by the Idaho Division of Building Safety.
To find if an Idaho contractor is properly licensed with the Division of Building Safety use this on-line service.
Other types of contractors (e.g. general) have to register with the Idaho State Contractors Board of the Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses (IBOL). To verify that a contractor is registered, call the Bureau of Occupational Licenses at (208) 334-3233 or use this on-line service. You can also find there if there were any disciplinary actions against the contractor.

To complain about electrician, HVAC contractor, or plumber in Idaho download the Division of Building Safety complaint form.
To complain about general contractors etc., download the complaint form, fill it out, sign, and mail it to the IBOL office. Or you can submit your complaint on-line (registration required). Or call (208) 334-3233 to request a Complaint Form.

2. The Idaho Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division:
To file a complaint with the Idaho Attorney General's Office fill out Complaint form on-line, print, sign, and mail the completed form to the Attorney General's Office:
Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
954 W. Jefferson, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0010

The Idaho Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division may attempt to resolve your complaint through the informal dispute resolution process.
More information about complaints to the Idaho Attorney General's Office is here

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Idaho Small Claims Court:
In general, you should file your claim in the county where the defendant resides or in the county where the claim arose. You may get a Claim Form and instructions online or pick up a copy from the court clerk.
Fill out a Claim Form and file it with the clerk of the court. You will have to pay a filing fee of $41.00.
Generally, you should file your claim within one year after it arose, but there are many cases in which the time limit is much longer, and a few in which it is shorter.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $5,000;
  2. Attorney: not allowed for both plaintiff and defendant;
  3. Right to appeal: yes for both

More about the rules of Idaho Small Claims here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy