JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Hawaii.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Hawaii Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs (DCCA):
A contractor license is required in Hawaii if the price of the project, including labor, materials, taxes, etc, exceeds $1000.00, or if the project requires a building permit. In most cases, electrical and plumbing projects have to be conducted by a licensed electrician or plumber regardless of the project costs.
Contractors, plumbers, electricians, and many other professions are licensed by the Professional and Vocational Licensing Division (PVL).
To find if a Hawaii contractor has a current license use this on-line service or call 587-3222. There you can also find if there were any disciplinary actions against contractor. In addition you can try RICO Complaint History Search. More resources to check on the business or contractor are here.

To complain about contractor or plumber in Hawaii use Hawaii Regulated Industries Complaints Office (RICO) forms that could be found here. Or download the contractor complaint form:

Hawaii Contractors License Board has Contractors Recovery Fund from which a homeowner may recover of up to $12,500 if a licensed contractor has not performed as promised (a court judgement against the contractor is required).

2. The Hawaii Office of Consumer Protection
The Hawaii Department of the Attorney General does not work directly with the consumer complaints. This is the responsibility of the Office of Consumer Protection (OCP), which is a division of DCCA. Find how to complain to the Office of Consumer Protection here or download a consumer complaint form.
The OCP will review your complaint and may investigate it or direct your complaint to the proper agency.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Hawaii Small Claims Court:
In general, you should file a Small Claims Statement of Claim in the judicial division where the defendant resides but, depending on circumstances, could be filed in other judicial divisions. For more information read "Your Guide to Small Claims Court" brochure that you can download here.

To start a Small Claims lawsuit in Hawaii fill out a Statement of Claim Form and file it with the clerk of the court. You will have to pay a filing fee of $35.
Clerk of the court in Hawaii may assist individuals in preparing the Statement of Claim.
You may get a Statement of Claim Form and instructions online (select "District Court Civil Claims" link in the appropriate Judicial Circuit) or pick up a copy at any District Court.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $5,000;
  2. Attorney: not required but allowed for both plaintiff and defendant;
  3. Right to appeal: NO

More information about Hawaii Small Claims Court on-line here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy