JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Georgia.

If you want to complain about your contractor, below you can find your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Georgia Professional Licensing Boards Division:
All the Conditioned Air Contractors, Electrical Contractors, Plumbers, and Utility Contractors require a current Georgia license and are licensed by The Georgia Construction Industry Licensing Board: Division of Conditioned Air Contractors, Division of Electrical Contractors, Division of Low Voltage Contractors, Division of Master and Journeyman Plumbers, and Division of Utility Contractors. Residential and General Contractors in Georgia are licensed by the the State Licensing Board for Residential and General Contractors.
To find if a Georgia contractor has a current license use this on-line service. There you can also find if there were any disciplinary actions against contractor.

To complain about licensed contractor or plumber in Georgia find him or his company using the on-line license search above and click on the "complain" link. To complain about unlicensed contractor use this on-line form. Or download the complaint form.

2. Governor's Office of Consumer Protection
Georgia is one of just a few states in which the Attorney General does not investigate consumer complaints. This is the responsibility of the Governor's Office of Consumer Protection. File your complaint about contractor or plumber with the Georgia Office of Consumer Protection on-line or download a consumer complaint form.
However, Georgia Office of Consumer Protection may not be able to address your individual situation if it does not affect parties other than you and your contractor. Most likely they will refer your contractor complaint to the Georgia Professional Licensing Boards Division (see above). But, the Office of Consumer Protection may monitor the contractor activities for the pattern of the improper behavior and take action if there are other similar complaints.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Georgia Magistrate Court (Small Claims Court):
You should file a Small Claims case in the county where your contractor resides, or one of the the owners of the business resides, or, if your contractor is a corporation, where it has designated its registered office with the Secretary of State’s Office.
You will have to pay a filing fee of $45 to $55 (fees vary from county to county and there is an extra charge for service for any additional defendants).

To start a Small Claims lawsuit in Georgia fill out a Statement of Claim Form and file it in person or mail the claim form to the appropriate Magistrate Court.
You may get a Statement of Claim Form and instructions online.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $15,000;
  2. Attorney: not required but allowed for both plaintiff and defendant;
  3. Right to appeal: yes, for both parties

More information about Georgia Small Claims Court on-line here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy