JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Florida.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1.Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
Florida contractors including plumbers, electricians, HVAC, etc are licensed and regulated by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR). To find if your Florida contractor has a current license use this on-line service. There you can also find if there are any complaints against his license.
Some services in Florida do not require a state license. You can find out what types of services must be performed by a DBPR-licensed individual or business here or by calling the DBPR at (850) 487-1395. You should also check with your county or city to find out if the service is regulated at a local level.
Complain about contractor or plumber in Florida to the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Boardusing Construction-Related Complaint Form here. Or download this Complaint form.
To complain about electrical contractor in Florida use this form.
Links to other types of business and proffessional complaints at DBPR you can find here.

If you complain about violation of Florida law, Department of Business and Professional Regulation will conduct an investigation of your complaint.

2. Florida Attorney General.
You can complain about contractor or plumber with the Florida Attorney General using this on-line form. You can also use this form for Price Gouging complaints.
You can also download Consumer Complaint form, complete the form, print it out, and mail your complaint with the copies of any paperwork to:
Office of the Attorney General
PL-01 The Capitol
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1050
Telephone: (850) 414-3990
Toll Free within Florida: 1-866-966-7226

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Florida Small Claims Court:
To start a Small Claims lawsuit in Florida fill out a statement of claim and file it with the clerk of court in the county where the contract was entered into, or any one of the defendants reside, or the event giving rise to the suit occurred.
You will have to pay a filing fee. You can find amounts of filing fees from the appropriate Clerk of Court website.
In Florida, both parties must attend a pre-trial conference when the judge reviews the case and may refer it to mediation.

Or you can file it at your local court. Here you can find a facility near you.
You may get the statement of claim form from the clerk of court. You may find a clerk of court as well as the links to the Clerk Websites here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $5,000;
  2. Attorney: not required but allowed for both plaintiff and defendant;
  3. Right to appeal: allowed for both
  4. Jury trials may be requested by either party

You can find more information about Florida Small Claims Court here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy