JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Connecticut.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection.
Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection is responsible for occupational and professional licensing in the State of Connecticut. To find if your Connecticut contractor has a current license and if there are any complaints against him use this on-line service. You can also check if the contractor has been sued by former clients. Go to Civil/Family Case Look-up, and do the “party name search” from the menu on the left.
Complain about contrctors or plumbers in Connecticut with the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection as explained here. Or download Connecticut Contractor Complaint form here:

Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection has the Home Improvement Guaranty Fund. A homeowner may get up to $15,000 from this Fund if something goes wrong in a job done by a registered contractor. (A court judgment against contractor is needed).

2. Connecticut Attorney General.
You can also complain about contractor or plumber with the Connecticut Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division here.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Connecticut Small Claims Court:
To file a Small Claims lawsuit mail or deliver the "Small Claims Writ and Notice of Suit" to the Centralized Small Claims office at 80 Washington Street, Hartford, CT 06106. Or you can file it at your local court. Here you can find a facility near you.
You will have to pay a $75.00 entry (filing) fee.
You may get the "Small Claims Writ and Notice of Suit" online.
You have six years to file your suit with Connecticut Small Claims Court if you have a written agreement or contract, or three years if your claim is based upon an oral agreement.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $5,000;
  2. Attorney: not required but allowed for both plaintiff and defendant;
  3. Right to appeal: no

You can find more information about Connecticut Small Claims Court on-line here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy