JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Colorado.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. State of Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA). Division of Registrations
All plumbers and electricians in Colorado are required to have an appropriate license. To find out if the Colorado contractor has a current license and if a licensee had been disciplined by the Board or Program use this DORA on-line service. (However, information about complaints that did not result in disciplinary actions of the Board against a contractor is not available)
General contractors are not licensed by the State of Colorado. However, they may require local license. Check with your city’s local building department to find out if a license is requered and if your contractor is properly licensed.
To File a Complaint against a Plumber, Plumbing Contractor, Electrician, Electrical Contractor, Architect, Landscape Architect, or Engineer in Colorado download Division of Registrations Complaint form. For more information about complaint procedure go here.

2. Colorado State Attorney General.
You can file a complaint on your contractor with the Colorado State Attorney General Consumer Protection Section here. However, in most cases your complaint will be handled by the Better Business Bureau.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Colorado Small Claims Court:
In Colorado you can file a Small Claims lawsuit in the county in which the defendant lives, employed, has an office for the transaction of business, or is a student at an institution of higher education.
You will have to pay a filing fee at the time of the filing. Filing fee is $28 or $45 depending on the amount of your claim.
To start your case get a “Notice, Claim and Summons to Appear for Trial” (complaint) at the courthouse, or on-line here. To file your suit fill out this form, take it to the courthouse, and give it to the clerk of the small claims court. To find out more go here. In Adams and Jefferson Counties you can e-File Small Claims cases here.
In some localities you may be ordered by the Court to mediate

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $7,500;
  2. Attorney: not required but allowed for the defendant, allowed for the plaintiff if the defendant hires an attorney;
  3. Right to appeal: limited to a review of the transcribed tape by a district court judge

There are some local policies or practices in Colorado Small Claims Courts that you may find here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy