JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in California.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. The California Contractors State License Board
California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) has jurisdiction over licensed and unlicensed contractors offering services in home building, remodeling, room additions, swimming pools, painting, roofing, landscaping, plumbing, electrical, heating and air conditioning, and installation and repair of mobile homes, etc.
In California, CSLB license is required to do contracting work on a project for which the price is $500 or more (including materials and labor). To find if your California contractor has a current license and if there are any complaints against him use this CSLB on-line service.
You can file a complaint about your California contractor or plumber within four years from the date of service with the California Contractors State License Board here.

2. The California Attorney General.
The California Attorney General's Office recommends that if you have a complaint against a contractor, contact the CSLB (see above).

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. California Small Claims Court:
California Small claims cases require that you ask the other side for payment before you go to court. You can do this in person, by phone, or in writing.
You have four years to sue your contractor in California Small Claims Court if you have a written agreement or contract, or two years if your claim is based upon an oral agreement.
You can file a Small Claims lawsuit where defendant lives, or where he does business.
You will have to pay a filing fee of $30-75 (based on the amount of your claim) at the time of the filing.

In many California counties you can file your suit on-line with Small Claims court or you may fill out Small Claims forms and file them with the small claims clerk in person. To find what forms to file go here.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $10,000;
  2. Attorney: not allowed;
  3. Right to appeal: for defendant only

In California each county is required to provide assistance in small claims cases free of charge. You can find your court's small claims advisor information here. Or you can find more information about California Small Claims Court on-line here.

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy