JoethePlumberNet How-To.
Home News Local Quiz Blog About us Links Search How-To
Latest contractor reviews
Contractor cost guide
Visit Joetheplumbernet on Facebook

Where to complain about plumber or contractor if you live in Alabama.

If you want to complain about your contractor, listed below are your major options. If you are not sure which option is best for you, read "Where is it best to complain".

1. Alabama licensure boards:

Residential home builders:
All residential home builders in Alabama should have a license issued by the Home Builders Licensure Board. This license is valid only during the calendar year in which it was issued. You can find if your building contractor has a current license on-line or by calling the Home Builders Licensure Board office at 1-800-304-0853

To complain about a building contractor in Alabama download the consumer complaint form. Complete the form and attach any supporting documents. Send original, signed, and notarized complaint to:
the Home Builders Licensure Board
445 Herron Street
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-3605.

Only an original homeowner may file this complaint and it should be filed within six years of taking possession of the residence.
The Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board can discipline a contractor only if he/she has violated the law but not for poor workmanship, cosmetic issues, or contractual disputes.

If you sue a licensed builder, but are unable to collect on the judgment, the Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board has a HOMEOWNERS' RECOVERY FUND that may compensate you for up to $20,000 of the actual economic damages sustained.

Electrical contractors:
To find out if your electrician has a valid Alabama license go here. To file a complaint with the Alabama Electrical Contractors Board use this Complaint form.

HVAC contractors:
HVAC contractor status check is here. To complain about HVAC contractor download this form and submit it to:
The State of Alabama Board of Heating, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Contractors
8 Commerce Street, Suite 200
PO Box 305025
Montgomery, AL 36130-5025.

Check your plumber license here. About your plumber complain to the Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Bord using this form. Mail form to:
11 West Oxmoor Road Suite 104
Birmingham, AL 35209
(205) 945-4857

2. The Alabama Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection:
To contact the Alabama Attorney General’s Office of Consumer Protection call 1-800-392-5658. File an online complaint here.

3. Better Business Bureau:
Go to and enter your zip code. When your local BBB page appear click on the "FILE A COMPLAINT" link and follow directions.

4. Alabama's Small Claims Court:
To file a Small Claims Case go to the Small Claims Division of the District Court in the county where your contractor office is located and file STATEMENT OF CLAIM (Complaint) Form.

  1. Maximum monetary limit of claims: $3000
  2. Attorney: allowed for both plaintiff and defendant
  3. Right to appeal: yes for both

5. On-line complaints.
We collect all sorts of customer reviews, complaints, and comments here.
To post your comment on Google find your contractor in Google maps, and click the “more info” link next to the name of your contractor. On the following page, scroll down to “Reviews by Google users” and click on “Rate and review” link on the left.
There are many other websites that let you post comments and complaints about your contractor. Below you may find just a few examples:
1) (registration required),

Return to "the State's plumbing and contractor licensing departments".

Copyright© 2008

Please send your questions or comments about this web site to: webmaster

Our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy